Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Bats



Hi everyone! So the point of this blog was to document what I did everyday in my class....and well....that did not happen lol! The main reason I stopped is because even though we did the most coolest things in class, I forgot to take pictures so that I can share them. So I remembered today and wanted to share what we have done so far this week. We are learning about bats this week and each theme I try to get the children to learn one to three facts about our topic. This week we are focusing on the following:

  • Bats eat fruit and insects
  • Bats are nocturnal
  • Bats like to live in dark places like caves
When I talk about these things I always say most bats eat fruit and insects, most bats are nocturnal and so on and so on. To introduce this, I placed pretend food items on a tray. Cake, spaghetti, eggs, waffles, fruit, and insects. I told the children what bats eat and what they don't eat. They thought it was funny when I asked if they eat cake. After we went over this I had each child come up to the tray and pick something that bats eat. They had a lot of fun doing this! And every single one picked either a fruit or insect. 

For art we made the bats above using these things.
I have no idea what they are, but I always like to paint with different items. After they were all done we hung them up across our room like this.


I'm huge on letting them do whatever they want. I don't care if they end up painting with their fingers or hands at the end. Or if the bat looks nothing like a bat. I want them to have fun and explore and be creative! I will try to remember to take pictures so you can see a little bit more of what we are doing! 

Oh I almost forgot! We also played a game where one of my puppets asked the children to crawl in the bat cave and find the puppet a specific numbered bat. The children couldn't wait to get a turn. I found the idea on pinterest and here is what our bat cave looked like after most bats were gone.

Well that's all for today!




No comments:

Post a Comment